Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) Full Time Job in Akron, OH at County of Summit – 4.5
Appointing Authority Summit County Public Health
Department/Division Summit County Public Health
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Monday – Friday 8am to 4pm. May require some weekend and evening work.
The Environmental Health Specialist independently and effectively conducts assessments, inspections, and compliance review activities under the review of a State of Ohio Registered Environmental Health Specialist.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Related Science required.
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist or Environmental Health Specialist-in-Training in the State of Ohio with knowledge of contemporary methods, principles, techniques, practices, and developments in environmental health.
- Ability to apply chemical physical, and biological sciences to Summit County Public Health programs for the control of environmental factors influencing public health.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and work independently.
- Current valid driver’s license, automobile availability, and insurance coverage.
- Depending on job assignment, may be required to have medical clearance for respiratory protection.
See Ohio Department of Health for more information regarding eligibility.
Public speaking ability.
Pre-Employment Testing Requirements Criminal Background Check, Pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Testing
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically works in a normal office environment as well as in various work sites, which involve potential exposure to inclement weather, extreme temperatures, unpleasant smells or odors and excessive levels of dust, dirt and other elements of typical EHS work. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts in precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles, pesticides, toxins or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, carry or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; talk or hear; walk; sit. The employee may be required to lift items as heavy as 80 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Acquisition and maintenance of the Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Environmental Health Specialist in Training credential from the Ohio Department of Health.
- See Ohio Department of Health REHS/EHS-IT credential for more information regarding eligibility.
- Depending on job duties, employee may be required to acquire special certifications including but not limited to: Licensed Pest Operator, Healthy Homes Specialist, ServSafe, Certified Pool Operator, Asbestos Hazard Evaluation Specialist, EPA laboratory certifications, etc.
Valid driver’s license, liability insurance, automobile available.
Summit County Public Health (SCPH) is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization’s achievement as well.
We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
Job Duty Name Primary/Secondary Job Duties
Description of Job Duty
- Meets inspection goals of assigned area.
- Completes documentation and tracks operator or property owner compliance.
- Tracks compliance and participates in the process through completion of corrections or abatement.
- Reviews non-compliant operations or nuisances with program coordinator and/or supervisor.
- Uses professional judgment to apply scientific knowledge and regulations to evaluate environmental hazards and conditions.
- Testifies as an expert witness in court proceedings and/or attends administrative hearings.
- Makes assigned community visits.
- Participates in community or county based organizations.
- Attends county, city, village and/or township governance meetings or committees.
- Maintains cooperative working relationships among public and agency participants.
- Attends training programs to improve technical knowledge used in programs.
- Performs job duties under the regulations, policies and procedures set forth by Summit County Public Health and outside agencies such as the County Fiscal Officer, Ohio Department of Health, and state and federal government.
- For EHS-IT, works under the supervision of an REHS for no more than 2 years upon commencement of employment and completes all required reports for the Ohio Department of Health.
- Performs any other duties as required for the efficient operation of Summit County Public Health.
- Obliges, as set forth by the Summit County Public Health Emergency Operations Plan and within the scope of their employment, to be available for emergency service during routine and non-routine hours of operation including 24/7/365 availability. May be required to have medical clearance for respiratory protection or other personal protective equipment and may be exposed to inclement weather, extreme temperatures, unpleasant smells or odors, dust, dirt, fumes, airborne particles, pesticides, toxins or caustic chemicals.
Requisition Number C/U – 1392021-P
Working Title Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) Full Time
Posting Type External/Public Posting
Number of Vacancies 1
$26.82 per hours (35 hours per week)
$48,812.40 per year
Open Date 09/16/2021
Close Date 10/15/2021
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions Summary
As part of the application process, you must complete a couple of assessments before the application deadline:
Before beginning, please choose a quiet location where you will not be interrupted.
Please use Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Internet Explorer 8 or newer, to complete this test event. Please do not use your mobile phone.
For some assessments it is recommended that you have available scratch paper and a pen/pencil.
Continue through the assessment process clicking on Proceed until you receive the Thank You notice.
The length of time necessary to complete the assessments is approximately 40 minutes. If you need to stop during the process, it is recommended that you do so between the tests. Please write down the Event ID that is generated. If you need to re-enter, go to www.oda1.com and enter the Event ID to continue.
When you are ready to begin, click here:
If you experience technical difficulties, please call Candidate Support at 877-909-8378 or email [email protected]
About the Company
Company: County of Summit – 4.5
Company Location: Akron, OH