Building Engineer Job in Chicago, IL at Kattara Construction Inc –
Under the direction of the Director, the Building Engineer is responsible for recommending annual and long-range planning for the maintenance operations, safety, and the overall quality of facilities. This position oversees the day-to-day operations and staff assigned to the Facilities Management division, assisting in planning, directing, supervising, and evaluating the work and effectiveness of facilities maintenance operations. The flexible nature of work responsibilities varies because of seasonal needs, emergency responses, and changes in priorities.
· Provides direct/indirect supervision over employees
· Manages, supervises, and expedites the progress of skilled and semi-skilled personnel that are engaged with the installation, maintenance, and repair of facilities
· Encourages and motivates employees supervised to perform at a consistently high level
· Monitors staff to ensure they are maintaining work log records manually and via Computer Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
· Receives reports from field personnel on the breakdown, failure, or damage of facilities involving the need for personnel; determines the urgency and type of repair needed
· Recommends staffing, including hiring, performance evaluations and terminations.
· Ensures the maintenance, safety and the overall quality of facilities
· Delegates work orders for HVAC, pool related, electrical, plumbing, painting, construction, and fire protection systems such as alarm, piping, extinguishers, halon, and sprinklers facility services
· Manages and reviews service contracts and vendors to ensure facility management needs are being met
· Responds to facility and equipment alarms and system failures
· Orders, stores and maintains an ongoing inventory of all equipment required for facility maintenance
· Assessment of documents and work orders to ascertain and recommend the most feasible replacement/repair of new or existing utilities, structures, equipment, and finishes
· Manages waste, pest control, and pollution abatement e.g. lead paint, asbestos, PCB’s, etc. for facilities
· Confers with utility companies regarding energy conservation measures
· Schedules efficient and cost-effective contracts, high quality contractors and work products
· Establish budget estimates and scheduling standards to plan, monitor, track and document the execution of repairs and maintenance work
· Prepares status reports of progress and achievement of targeted goals
· Participates in forming preventative maintenance standards and reviews work in progress to insure implementation and compliance
· Reviews work in progress to gauge timeliness, cost-effectiveness and quality of execution of repairs and maintenance functions and tasks
Must possess a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Facilities Management, Facilities Engineering, Business Management, Property Management or a substantially similar area and three (3) or more years of full-time work experience in general maintenance and repair such as carpentry, electrical, masonry, painting and plumbing work OR a high school diploma or GED and seven (7) or more years of full-time work experience in general maintenance and repair such as carpentry, electrical, masonry, painting and plumbing work.
Must possess three (3) or more years of full-time work experience in a supervisory capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
· Detailed knowledge of repair, maintenance, operational practices
· Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Facilities Management systems, as well as other reporting and analytics tools.
Up-to-date knowledge of environmental, health, and safety laws and regulations.
· Ability to direct a full range of maintenance operations on a variety of equipment and vehicles.
· Ability to read and interpret blueprints and technical drawings.
· Ability to prioritize, assign, supervise, and evaluate the work assigned to personnel to achieve goals and objectives.
· Ability to maintain a high level of efficiency and morale while supervising and cooperating with employees
· Skill in communicating effectively and tactfully with others both verbally and in writing. Ability to explain services and operations or provide general directions and information to callers and visitors.
· Ability to take charge during emergency situations.
· This position occasionally requires various types of physical exertion including, but not limited to climbing, lifting, pulling, pushing, moving moderate to heavy weight and the ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
· The duties listed are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work.
· They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee’s normal line of work.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $90,000.00 per year
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- What are your salary expectations per year?
- Managing Teams: 3 years (Required)
About the Company
Company: Kattara Construction Inc –
Company Location: Chicago, IL